Read More http://herlemonadestand.blogspot.com/p/cooking-club.html

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Baked Squash...oh so easy!

     Part of us branching out in the meal department was to try every Squash in the Walmart produce department! So far we have had Acorn, Butternut and Spaghetti....they don't offer much variety do they! We have done yellow, but Taylor and Andrew refuse to eat it, so we have ceased to use them. Here is a quick and easy meal, all in one, that you can have as a side or feed to your little ones as a full meal or first meal for the itty bitty ones!
1     Acorn Squash
brown sugar, optional
butter, optional

     Set oven to 350, cut squash in half, remove seeds and yucky stuff and place in baking dish meat side down, skin side up, and bake for 45 minutes. Turn squash over and bake for 15 minutes more or until tender. I've watched Jim add a little brown sugar and butter to his. Since I'm a sweet wife and mama, I started putting about 1/2 tsp of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp butter inside each squash whenever I turned them over, then when I scrape it all out, mix it all up. Taylor and Andrew usually share one side and Jim has the other.






     My family eats these things up! Sometimes if we are having couscous I mix it in with the squash and it becomes a little more hearty for my boys! You can do the same kind of thing with the other big squashes, however, the cooking times change for the butternut and I had to puree the spaghetti squash to get Andrew to eat it. Let's eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting My Lemonade Stand! I love reading your comments, so keep them coming!