Read More http://herlemonadestand.blogspot.com/p/cooking-club.html

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oh my what a Dinner!

     {On our table tonight: Chicken Carbonara Deluxe, Roasted Acorn Squash, Garlic-Parmesan French Bread, Sweet Tea and Praline Ice-Cream Puffs}
     Haha...you thought I that I slaved for hours on what sounds like a very complex and well-planned dinner, didn't you! Oh no no no no my dear. These hips couldn't, and wouldn't, stand over a stove for such a meal, especially if I hadn't found the recipes in my inbox from Betty Crocker!!!
     Pay no attention to the time they say is required for these recipes because it took me about an hour from start to finish...that includes welcoming a husband through the evening door and playing referee between a 1 and 3 year old!
    Find the Chicken Carbonara Deluxe recipe here. I doubled this recipe because we Jim is carb loading this week in preparation for the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis on Saturday. I needed to make sure we had enough leftovers. To cook my chicken, I boiled it in sea salty water for...oh I dunno, 20 minutes or so. I also added more Whipping Cream than is called for because I like a little sauce. I also use Turkey bacon instead of whatever it is normal bacon is made from. It doesn't get all that crispy and doesn't leave drippings so when I removed them from the pan I added a tablespoon of butter to the pan and sauteed my onions and garlic in it. To say Jim loved this dish would be an understatement!
     The Roasted/Baked Squash....Oh My Word....So easy....I've already blogged on it, you can read all about it here. We have this at least once a week!
     I cheated on the bread too! I bought the fresh loaf from the bakery in Walmart for $1.50....used half of the HUGE loaf and put the other half in the freezer. We even had 3 pieces left over.
    Now to the good, Oh My Word, delicious, oh so delicious desert that is almost the easiest desert ever....the Praline Ice-Cream Puffs. This recipe was recommended on the Chicken Carbonarra page as a serving suggestion. Find the recipe here.  I halved this recipe because if I made 12 of these yummy things, I'd feel like I needed to eat them all...tonight! Only changed 2 things, First I used Self-Rising Flour because it was the easiest to grab out of pantry and Second I didn't use the jar of caramel...I have the Kraft caramel pieces that you mix with milk and melt in the microwave...I made about 3 tablespoons of it.  While my oven was preheating and my bread getting warm, I boiled the water/butter and mixed in the flour and eggs...it was that quick. I put the puffs in the oven as we sat down for dinner, 35 minutes later I took them out and sat them on the counter. By the time I got the kitchen clean and 2 monkeys in their beds, they were perfectly cooled and screaming my name! Can you say SCRUMPTIOUS?!!!! Oh sooooo Easy! And....OH MY WORD.....ahh...maybe I'll dream about them tonight!
     And for the Sweet Tea....well that's a given...I'm a Southern Belle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting My Lemonade Stand! I love reading your comments, so keep them coming!